free html hit counter But I’ve Got The Biggest… « MissChatter : The Chatter Files

But I’ve Got The Biggest…

Posted on June 16, 2009 at 9:24 am

Blogs With Balls panelists
Amy K. Nelson (ESPN), Mike Hall (NESN), Jeff Pyatt (Real Clear Sports), Jeff Pearlman (SI), Dan Steinberg (WaPo), Bethlehem Shoals (FreeDarko)

Yeah, you know how that line ends and the song keeps sticking in my head as I write a recap of “Blogs With Balls 1.0”. Actually, I don’t have the biggest of them all, clearly. It’s probably a good thing I have none of those dangly somewhat spherical objects at all, as I’ve been straddling a fence (hopefully not picket) over the last couple years; an awkward, fascinating, challenging place to hang out. See, when it comes to this here blog, I don’t really consider myself media – in fact, I’m never quite sure what to consider myself and I’ve given up trying to define my role. I’ve told Kasten I’m not media, yet later, Mr. Chatter pointed out I write, take photographs (some published), appear on TV and radio – in other words, the very definition of media. But I’m not fully credentialed and have fought my way to respectability and limited access. Yet I work in media, if only on the back end where I’m relatively invisible, because I actually love media and aspire to being as good as the rest, whether that’s writing, doing videos, or taking sports photos. To punctuate the whole straddling thing, my nametag had my workplace on it instead of my blog!

I absolutely was not going to pass up attending the first organized sports blogger conference in NYC this past weekend. The event felt rather historic and I wanted to be a part of it. Also, Dan Steinberg was slated to be a panelist in the “Why We Hate You – The Media’s Take” panel and I was curious to hear what that panel would entail from my perspective on both sides of the fence. Finally, I was really looking forward to the networking aspect. Covering a single team in a single sport really tends to leave one hidden from the rest of the sports world. And I am a sports blogger, after all, so I was kind of surprised when the first thing Steinberg asked upon seeing me was, “What are you doing here?” (enter stereotypical interweb-speak LOL) I quickly borrowed a sharpie and corrected my nametag.

The panels were interesting, but others have recapped them, so I’m not going to repeat. Recap Links Page 1 : Recap Links Page 2 : Recap Links Page 3 : (Good panel roundup)

HHR (Hugging Harold Reynolds) Media did a fantastic job organizing the event from nailing down panelists, coming up with topics, reserving the place, to getting big-name sponsors. The event exploded from an expected 50 or so attendees to about 300! He even secured a tour of the MLB Network studios for the lucky participants who were in town on Friday. The bottom of Stout was packed out and the irony of being shoved in a bar’s basement was not lost on anyone. Representatives from most big sports names were in attendance (ESPN, SI, etc.)

Many of the panels focused on “personal brand” and “monetizing”. I’m not terribly interested in those because I’m not a fan of acronyms and buzz words, but I know many are. In my work capacity, well, we have people for that marketing and ads thing. On my blog, it’d be nice if it made more money, but I don’t really expect it to, so I don’t put much effort or thought into that. I do best by selling photos and the occasional local ad. I prefer to think of Twitter as people just being themselves, not people marketing, although I get the point and Sports Media Challenge “launching” Shaq on Twitter has turned out phenomenal. I do actually take some interest in the “launching” aspect as I have considered if I have any potential as a social media consultant/coach. I didn’t set out to do it on purpose, but I do think I’ve created my own sort of personal brand as MissChatter. Not that I’m really marketable as anything other than someone who knows a lot about the Nationals!

As for the media panel, nothing was resolved. They don’t hate us (no surprise there). I think I actually could have offered some insight from seeing both sides of the “business” (blogging and media). I’m more interested in a possible upcoming On The DL Podcast interview with Dan Steinberg and Greg Wyshynski as there seemed to be some unfinished debate left hanging there.

3632409588_647fa6d5ca_mThe panels zipped by throughout the day with a brief break for lunch and an hour of free Guinness 250. Plus, the bar was open, so many attendees were partaking upon arrival and the buzz of chatter overwhelmed panelists by the end of the day. I had a little fun on Twitter counting how many glasses I heard clink or shatter on the concrete floor (a recurring theme throughout the day). Unforunately, this impacted the GQ hosted after-party and networking aspect I had so been looking forward to. Many were already on their way to drunkenness by the time we arrived at Foley’s down the street and the free tequila shots served by wigged women in skimpy silver dresses only added to the pandemonium. I looked around and realized my train ticket back at 3 AM meant a very long night and just hoped I’d find people sober enough to keep me company until then (I did)! Pretty much everyone I knew from DC had already left except for Chris Mottram. But the night was about shaking hands and meeting new people, right? So I pulled myself out of my cocoon a bit and socialized.

Laura, from GoGameFace.com

The Dugout Sports Show broadcasts from the Stout basement

I’m glad I did! I talked nerdy computer backends with some guys from SB Nation. I also had a wonderful time chatting baseball with a couple New Yorkers who hung with me til the end, one being Mark Healey who does a live radio show from Foley’s for Baseball Digest. Since the news of Manny’s alleged demise broke that afternoon, every Mets fan I spoke with (Writing The Pine among them – love creative names) eagerly jumped in to say they’d be happy to have him replace Jerry Manuel. The bobbleheads on a shelf were bobbling spontaneously as we talked Stephen Strasburg, signing factors, agents, injury risk, young pitchers, you-name-it! Oh, I also spotted an autographed Stephen Colbert baseball in a case. Cool!

The line I walked away with that stuck with me was not that I should consider myself media, but rather a “professional sports fan”. I already don’t worry about being held accountable or being disrespectful. Regulars know I’m not one to spout off rants (unless deserved). I talk to people in the organization all the time, never rip players in a personal hurtful manner, and just generally (try to) keep my enthusiasm up. The point driven home that stuck with me was excel at what you’re the best at and concentrate on that. I’m trying to figure out what that is – my enthusiasm? Photography? Goofy videos? I’ll figure it out…

I wish I’d brought my real camera, but I didn’t want to schlep it around all day. I also kinda wish I’d brought a video camera! [ Photoset ] taken with my iPhone and point ‘n shoot.

Thanks to the HHR team, the panelists for bravely going where no one had gone before, Stout, GQ, and Foley’s. Great time!

9 Responses to “But I’ve Got The Biggest…”

1. Shoals says:

I’m hoping this means you destroyed the photographic evidence of me smoking one of your Capris.

2. misschatter says:

Hehehe yes… it was an idle threat I didn’t actually follow through on.

3. NatsFan says:

” But I’m not fully credentialed and have fought my way to respectability and limited access. ”

Good job with limited access!

As large as blogging has been growing into, it seems like some bloggers have chosen to differentiate in style, content and function. Some write in a style similar to the mainstream media and some sports blogs feel more like fan sites and some are more photo galleries and others seem like Post & Thread bulletin board chat rooms.

Steinberg’s Bog (isn’t he media?) which you mentioned uses humor which is great and Miss Chatter is tops in Photos and using a barn as a baseball attraction (lol)!

My issues are this: Some blogs are just self serving to their egos (we & us) and getting access to rub elbows with the athletes they write about, and some have found a way to make a lot of money so I think some blogging has gotten out of hand while I know some would say monetizing is equitable since almost all mainstream media survive by some type of monetizing through advertising and subscription.

MLB still won’t recognize you (bloggers) as media as I have read on the MLBlogs site although I have observed Jeff and Sohna at Nats320 on the field wearing Media Passes and milling around at Spring Training in restricted area so are the individual teams allowed to issue Media Passes to bloggers so they can interview players and go into the media room and why don’t all bloggers get un-limited access?

If not, and using your quote above of “limited access” how do you get the access you need to best do your blogging and is it fair that some of your local Nationals blog sites are getting preferential treatment?

4. DC Sports Chick says:

“Pulling yourself out of your cocoon?” I find that hard to believe ;-)

5. DC Sports Chick says:

…in that I find it hard to believe you’re in a cocoon!

6. Gustafsson says:

“See, when it comes to this here blog, I don’t really consider myself media – in fact, I’m never quite sure what to consider myself and I’ve given up trying to define my role. I’ve told Kasten I’m not media, yet later, Mr. Chatter pointed out I write, take photographs (some published), appear on TV and radio – in other words, the very definition of media.”

You are absolutely New Media. It also doesn’t matter that you are not fully credentialed. The words, images, video, etc you have generated about the Nats has been viewed and followed by many learning and seeing things they otherwise wouldn’t have.

Even your “Old Media” job is “new media”.

Wish I was able to attend BWB. The Wysh/Steinz debate would have been great to follow in person.

7. misschatter says:

DCSC – believe it or not, I can be quite shy around people I don’t already know :-) If I do know them, well yeah, no cocoon!

Gustafsson – good point on new media! And I think most of the Wysh/Steinz debate happened behind the scenes with snippets played out in front of the crowd. I have to admit, when Wysh said we were all there would be in 20 years, my first thought (which I said out loud) was I am NOT doing this in my 50s! So I’m kinda with Steinz on that one!

8. Anthony says:

NatsFan — From what I know, it is up to the individual team to issue credentials — bloggers, MSM, etc. I verified this with the MLB League office in NYC last year.

There’s been certain situations where bloggers/new media have gotten full access, such as the Dodgers — who allow bloggers into the press box. As well, I know the Royals, A’s, Rays & Orioles have given blogs and some websites some access to players, team executives for interviews, etc.

I have a feeling the tide will change in the next year or two as the traditional media model changes, and blogs even gain more prominence.

But as it is, if a group of people get access — all legtimate blogs/websites should be afforded the same.

Miss Chatter, great write-up on the Blog with Balls Event! I had planned to be there, but with my sister giving birth that weekend, that trip became impossible…

9. NatsFan says:

Looks like Kasten reads Miss Chatter as they are all getting similar access tonight (6/20/09).

Then again Jeff and Sohna from Nats320 were rubbing elbows with anyone they could bother last night in the President’s Club. You could see the body language from people they were pestering. Moving people to take pictures with him and his wife while they were blocking the aisle. Why is it necessary to do that? Learn from Miss Chatter and National News Network. You don’t have to pose in pictures with everyone. We know what you look like!!!!

If Jeff paid the single game price of $325 per ticket like everyone else then great for him though I was told by an usher that he didn’t. Again, maybe someone gave him tickets which is fine also although it just seems that Jeff gets special treatment.

Anthony, glad we are in agreement! Liberty and justice for all!!!

Switch to our mobile site