free html hit counter Dib Dib Dibble Dee Do « MissChatter : The Chatter Files

Dib Dib Dibble Dee Do

Posted on August 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm

With apologies to Debbi Taylor, Bob Carpenter, Ray Knight and Johnny Holliday – who have always been charming and pleasant…. I sure hope I’m not committing media suicide here…

Well, I was going to try to stay out of the fray surrounding Rob Dibble over the past month. It’s my whole Toy Story dinosaur “I don’t like confrontation” personality trait coming out, and self-defense instinct in that I don’t want to paint a bigger bulls-eye on my back than being a blogger already presents. But well, I’m going to write on this here “little blog” because according to Dibble, it’s nothing. Inconsequential. But I disagree there. Also, I feel a little guilty about all the heat Dan Steinberg took after the “there must be a sale!” women behind home plate story.

As an aside, there is a sale at Gap! For a good cause, you can download a 30% off Gap coupon that benefits LLS – 5% of your purchases from Thursday, August 26th – Sunday, August 29th will be donated to LLS. See, that’s not a bad thing, is it?

Some teams have broadcasters adored by their fans. You’d think such a symbiotic relationship between fans and those who bring the team and games into their homes, their living rooms (or computers and phones these days) would be desirable. When Dibble was first signed to a contract to take Don Sutton’s place in the television booth, I was intrigued yet skeptical, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I assumed the “Nasty Boy” mentality and controversy stirring reputation were more legend than reality and that he had matured since his pitching days. Instead what I’ve observed is a polarizing bully, unwilling to take even the slightest criticism, with no “filters” regarding lashing out against the very fans he’s supposed to be endearing himself to. Poor you, Dibble. The big bad internet picked on you. Do you do anything to stop it? No. You make it worse. You alone. With your ignorant, defensive, accusatory, inflammatory statements. There are far better ways to go about resolving criticism and conflict.

I had concerns when Dibble was first hired and heard he’d kept his XM/Sirius gig – not for any conflict of interest… I just know the grind of covering a baseball team and didn’t see how he’d balance both effectively. I never foresaw what happened this week when he essentially called Strasburg a pussy. Oh I’m sorry, did I get the context wrong there? Nope don’t think so.

I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take the belittling anymore.

you know, what really ticks me off, Jim, is when bloggers, who have no information, and have not talked to doctors, have no on-the-field information will rip into me and say, ‘Oh, yeah, Dibble told him to suck it up.’

Ok, I would assume he was targeting Steinberg there, who I’m not sure I would label as a “blogger” and lump in with the rest of us. He is a journalist. He works for the Washington Post. His “blog” items often appear in print too. He gets more page views per day than MASN gets viewers. Yet, it’s another example of Dibble painting everyone with a broad brush, while all Steinberg did was transcribe Dibble’s own words. And then Dibble stereotyped… again.

I took offense to the remarks about the women behind home plate because of the broad strokes — and mostly the comment about him saying the husbands are thinking, “Man, leave your wife at home next time”. I took offense to this latest rant as well. I pride myself on the fact that I get along with most media members… all but one in fact. Dibble. First he blocked me on Twitter. I never said anything bad to or about him in person or online. In fact, at first I thought there must be some mistake, but I guess not. I requested to be unblocked and may as well have clicked on a brick wall. Yet he continues to belittle my kind (that being females and bloggers and heck, I even occasionally frequent a chat room or two! Oh the humanity!) on television and his satellite radio show. A classic case of not being able to take what’s dished out if you ask me. I’ve had it. I go on radio and tv too. Not as frequently as Dibble, but you know what? Fans relate to me too. Nobody but former pitchers and casual fans relate to him. Guess which has the higher population number? (On second thought, maybe we shouldn’t run the numbers on that)

I’ve been covering this team longer. Maybe I didn’t play in the game (I am a girl after all), but I’ll take Ray Knight’s analysis as a player over his belittling any day. And while his modus operandi is bullying the team’s fans who may also be detractors, I’ve welcomed mine. It’s a different approach. Some may want to try it. Maybe you’ll learn something rather than alienating what remaining fans the Nats have that still keep the sound on while watching a game. I have it on good authority even media members turn off the sound for the home broadcasters.

On the other hand, I’ll just sit back and wait for the next time a shoe store is inserted into a broadcaster’s mouth and it spreads nationwide like wildfire. I don’t think the Nats will put up with the bad press much longer. I eagerly look forward to a booth of Ray Knight and Bob Carpenter. Broadcasters are supposed to tell the story and teach the subtleties of baseball to new and old fans alike, not become the story. That’s your job. Just go out there every day and do it. The broadcast booth is not your personal pulpit to offend.

So retaliate or prove me wrong. The challenge is thrown.

I was really hoping Thom Loverro would give the ultimate smackdown today, but he didn’t. So I had to take matters into my own feeble hands.

18 Responses to “Dib Dib Dibble Dee Do”

1. wsweet says:

i understand it’s not what your post is about, but i have to say, am i the only one who would hate it if Ray Knight was brought into the booth? he’s a little too folksy, consistently stumbles over his words, and when he did the series in Houston a couple months ago, he was terrible with the telestrator. just sayin, i guess.

2. Jenn Jenson says:

You go, Miss Chatter.

3. Zag Sapper says:

Seem a little hypersensitive to me. Dibbs is great. His logic and wit is MUCH better than Ray’s. He is the reason why I and many of my friends even watch games MASN. How about calling Dr. Laura next time chatter.

4. Mom says:

Dibble is a tool. I was forced to listen to him because the Cubs announcers were blacked out for the Washington series. He’s an egomaniac who goes on and on about himself. I don’t see how Nats fans can take it on a full time basis. Give me Len and Bob!

5. Dave says:

Well said, Miss C.

The Dibble show is wearing thin on me as well. This week he has been sounding like nothing so much as an 80-year-old curmudgeon who bemoans the loss of the Good Ole Days, when real men pitched through pain (and had seven-year careers in MLB) and nobody was bothered by those bloggers on the Internets.

I for one won’t miss him a bit if he goes.

6. Rachel @ Nationals Fangirls says:

I think Dibble is a little too accustomed to making dumb, thoughtless comments with impunity so I’m glad he’s getting called out once in awhile. Before the internet he might only have had to deal with a pile of hate mail he didn’t have to open.
    I think a post like this is scary, taking on a guy who comes off as such a bully as him, especially when you’ve got a little more to lose in your media relationships than your average blogger, so kudos for having, um, a pair? to post this.
    I don’t think anyone is trying to destroy the man, but here’s hoping he learns a few manners from bloggers like you willing to put it out there like this.

7. Another Rob (not Dibs) says:

AMEN!! In the last month, I either watch with the “mute” on, or turn to the O’s game. (I can’t get Slowes where I live, except to pay MLB for it. Otherwise, I’d listen to him and watch MASN)

Also, thanks for returning with frank articles here. I love reading your stuff, but maybe your commercial outlet has some restrictions, eh?

8. cass says:

Nice!

Thanks for writing this. Dibble seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It’s good to call him out on it.

It’s funny that the Nats have one of the worst color commentators in baseball and yet have a very good radio team. Charlie and Dave are top notch. Don’t know why they don’t at least share tv duties, but then again, maybe you don’t want to mess with a good thing?

9. clynn886 says:

I agree with you so much. I think every woman who is passionate about the game has dealt with a jerk or two who thinks you watch to have something to talk about with guys or whatever. It is frustrating to hear that kind of sexism when I’m trying to watch the game at home. And as if that weren’t upsetting enough, Dibble adds nothing of substance to the commentary. He’s completely consumed by the memory of his glory days, and frankly there weren’t enough of them to justify the endless references.

10. Nick N says:

Great blog as always! And right on the money!

I dont get how he can get mad at anyone really. He is a broadcaster and if he blurts out his moronic opinion, people are going react. Whether he is on SiriusXM or MASN, there are listeners he needs to remember bad news spreads much faster.
    As far as your fight with the sexism in sports I cant comment much being a guy, but I certainly can say that I have seen it. The situation is just made worse when its so blatent. I cant help but wonder why he wasnt at least made to apologize though.
    I will admit that a large majority of the well written blogs out there now are by women, so maybe he should read more and talk less. Just a thought.

11. KateKirk says:

At first I despised Rob. Then he grew on me, I think because he was on his better behavior last season. Now he’s being himself. And he’s pretty much a dick. The Nationals seem to pride themselves on not being dicks…it’s a team of guys who seem like basically nice people (I appreciate this as a fan for sure). So if I am a Lerner or a Kasten, Rob on his dick behavior is a threat to my brand and to my fan base. I think this will work itself out along those lines but in the meanttime, probably gays, Asians, senior citizens and perhaps people without tattoos are gonna get Rob-bed.

(anyone have a non-inked lesbian japanese grandma we can put in the Diamond Club to test this theory? :)

12. Lay off Dibble says:

Lay off Dibble. Do you actually watch Nationals games? I guess all this market needs is another broadcaster who is afraid to speak his mind. He’s opinionated and frustrated just like most Nats fans. The difference is he airs it out. Its not just at the phenom pitcher, its at every player on the team and as we have seen some fans. One example is the constant errors by the young players earlier in the year that kept innings alive. The guy knows his baseball and he knows pitching.

When things are going good for the Nationals in a game, no one cheers harder for them than Dibble. Watch a few games and you will see what I am talking about.

You included the “Deadspin article”; Keep in mind he played in a different era. Young pitchers today are held to pitch counts and innings, and starts. That was unheard of when he pitched. He basically said suck it up; sore arms are part of pitching. The mound is not going to be perfect in every City. The kids been on the DL twice in the last month. The team plays great when he is pitching. Its frustrating, as a fan to see him on the DL already in his young career.

My take on the comments about the women behind home plate:

Its ridiculous watching a baseball game on TV. If the people back there aren’t squatting someone else’s seats, they are on the cell phone, usually waving at their friends. Its a joke. All that stuff behind home plate distracts from the game. That is all he was talking about. He wasn’t referring to ALL women , he was referring to THOSE women and their husbands.

I for one LOVE Rob Dibble! I think he and Carpenter and Taylor ,make a great team. The games are always entertaining to watch.

13. Caterwaul says:

One of my buddies when I was little (and that was a long time ago) was a MLB umpire. I wanted to be one when I grew up and would argue with anyone who told me I couldn’t be one because I was a girl. I went through a good part of my early life without a “filter” and would candidly say what was on my mind without thinking. I don’t know Dibble, so I don’t know if he’s misogynistic by nature (or nurture.) There is a percentage of men in sports who object to women playing sports or covering sports. I’m sorry to hear of your experience with him, and I think the less of him for such behavior. As for the Strasburg issue, when I was a kid, there wasn’t much attention paid to pitch counts or tweaks and twinges. We’ve learned so much since then about sports physiology, and taking precautions to prevent injury. And more has been learned since Dibble was pitching. From what I saw from my seat on the couch, Strasburg did not want to be taken from the game after his obvious tweak to his arm – but the coach’s call was the right one. At 46, it’s getting a little late for Dibble to develop a “filter”, but he ought to try. I heard his apology after the shopping comments, and it sounded more like he was doing it because he was told to do so. I think, for any broadcaster, it is best not to comment on any behavior observed in the stands unless it is something newsworthy. If he has a problem with women covering sports or blogging, well, that’s a problem.

14. Zee says:

I’m with you completely on Dibble. I never liked him on ESPN, was dismayed when he was hired by the Nats and have pretty much had all my views about him being an idiot blowhard confirmed.

That said, Ray Knight is not an upgrade. He may not be a bully like Dibble but his quote, unquote “analysis” is very painful to listen too. Nothing but empty folksy things that doesn’t really explain what’s happening on the field.

But yeah, Dibs has gotta go. Just don’t bring in Ray Knight.

15. mezzsop says:

I will forever more watch the game and listen to the radio coverage. Dibble is awful, conceited, ignorant and rude, just to name a few qualities. The radio crew is stellar. Turn down the sound on the next game and turn up 1500 am and listen to a good announcing team.

16. DvDa says:

When the women in my section start yapping inning after inning I get annoyed. I often hope a ball hits them. Am I wrong? I love Dibs and am wearing my Dibble tshirt every game now.

17. I read a book on this topic and anything that it said, you’re saying right now! It just makes as well quite a bit sense to abide by your information, many thanks! plane free online games

18. Junior Beyt says:

Awesome stuff! Our readers would love this on State Street.

Switch to our mobile site